SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pogonip_gw

A few questions about succulent propagation

pogonip
15 years ago

Hello,

I've read up a lot on succulent propagation, and while the general consensus seems to be that it's quite easy I wanted to get clarification on a few things:

(1) I take it that with succulent cuttings, as with other cuttings, the leaves/petals from the bottom half should be removed so that roots can grow from the nodes. My question is: a) is this true? and b) do I remove the leaves when I take the cutting and allow them to form calluses, or do I remove them right before placing in the rooting medium?

(2) In terms of rooting method, I've heard seemingly contradictory suggestions - everything from "put it on top of some dry sand and wait" to "keep in in a near-sealed plastic bag in moist rooting medium". I have a few propagation chambers going right now made out of closeable plastic salad containers filled with about 80% perlite and 20% peat (I moistened the mixture). For the first few days I kept the lid down to increase humidity, then removed it to let the medium dry out a bit to spur growth - sort of hodge-podge, but it was the only way I could think of incorporating both methods.

(3) How long (generally) before small cuttings will have formed enough roots to pot? I can't tell from looking and don't want to disturb them too early.

Thoughts on any or all of these points would be appreciated.

Comment (1)