SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
askafasl

How to deal with a bad case of spider mites...

askafasl
10 years ago

Hey guys! I'm new to caring for plumerias and picked up three these past few months. One of them (about 18" tall) has developed a severe case of spider mites, which I didn't realize until the infestation got pretty bad. It's been growing deformed leaves and the leaves it did have are bronzed, flimsy, or fell off. For now I just shot it with some water to try and knock some of the mites off.

What are your recommendations for fighting these bugs? I have bon-neem that I use on other plants, but am not sure if it would work well on plumerias. I heard neem oil is good for dealing with the mites - will bon-neem work as well or will it damage the plant too much? How often would you recommend application of bon-neem or neem oil? I also heard that just water will deal with them, and I'd like to use it, but I'm wondering how often you guys had to spray the plants down or if it'll be effective for a bad case.

Since I have two more plumerias that don't seem to be showing signs of an infestation yet, what are some good preventative measures? Misting multiple times a day, maybe?

Thank you for all your help! I hope I can save this little plant as it was my first plumeria.

Comments (9)