SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aprilbird4

Root cutting newbie questions

aprilbird
13 years ago

I'm new to the whole 'plant' thing in general, but became interested a few seasons back and have started having success with outdoor and indoor plants.

When I found out about this root cutting 'thing' I tried it with a couple of things. I've read 'Lazy... plain old water' post. The water/soil thing is kind of my issue.

I tried water, got roots, planted in soil...died. Thought maybe I needed to let root longer, until I had lots of roots. Also failed once in soil. Got something to put on the roots cuttings, used that on fresh cuttings and put straight into soil. Not even close. Never get roots when I try straight soil. Went back to water, I can get roots, but then they die in soil. Talked to someone at the nursery and they explain the water to soil problem and it does sound better to start straight in soil, but when I do that I never get anywhere.

What am I missing?

3 things I am interested in trying to do this fall so that I can plant them again next spring are Lanta, Mexican Heather & coleus. I heard you could do that with these pretty easy. But I would be happy with general information to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus