SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
don555_gw

Containers vs. open garden test - ended abruptly

don555
11 years ago

The season is very short and cool here so I wanted to test whether containers would give me an edge over open garden planting.

My comparisons were based on Charleston Hot and Hungarian Wax, which I started in mid-March under lights and planted out in May. For the Charleston, one plant was planted direct in a sunny garden, and two plants were put in a single pot on a sunny second-story deck. For the Hungarian, all plants were put in the garden but two were planted direct in the ground and two were in individual pots next to the garden-planted ones.

Results are confusing, because they are mixed. Up until yesterday, the Charleston were doing much better in containers (vigorous, flowering well, numerous peppers setting) than direct in the garden (much shorter, no blooms, not even close). The most recent comparison pics I have for this were taken July 3, with the direct-planted Charleston immediately to the right of the pot:

On the other hand, the Hungarian were actually doing better in the ground than in the pots. Not hugely different, but last time I measured the potted Hungarians were 6.5" tall, the ones direct planted were 9" and 10" tall and all were setting peppers. Here's a July 3 pic of them:

We are less than half-way through the growing season here but unfortunately we had bad hail last night so this is probably as far as I can take this experiment this year. Here's how the Hungarians look today:

{{gwi:1187315}}

And here's the garden-planted Charleston (on the plus side, I was able to get out before the hail became really bad and protect the container-planted Charleston):

{{gwi:1187316}}

So I'm pleased that the Charleston were doing much better in a container, but perplexed why the Hungarian seemed to have the opposite response. Maybe next year I'll sort this out...

Comments (20)

Sponsored