SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gllc21

OMG- what am I doing starting a retail nursery??

gllc21
16 years ago

Ok, I am a newbie here and apparently not to good b/c I posted early this AM and came to check to see if anyone had answered me and my post did not show up....maybe that is a hint it was too long so this time I will try to make it shorter and just give you the facts. My DH has a very successful landscape business and is wanting me to open a retail nursery since our baby went to school. He already has his nursery license b/c we have about 5 acres of trees he has planted - we have 10 acres - and he keeps the shrubs here for his customers to pick their materials out. We just obtained some greenhouses and cold frames from someone who sold their land for development and basically gave them away for someone to come take them. My concern is not with the shrubs and the trees b/c even if I do not sale them through the retail part he uses them for his business. My concern is the perennials, annuals and vegetables. Where do those of you with experience go to find out if the supplier is reputable? Do most of you use a broker and how do you know if they are reputable?

We are behind this year b/c of DS having surgery at the end of the year so we will need a lot of finished product or at least nothing that will take more than a couple months but in the beginning we will need the finished product which I know does not yield as much profit. Personally I think we should just go ahead and wait until next spring but this has already been 2 years in the making and b/c of the sale of the greenhouses we were able to move it up. We will be selling out of his mom's craft shop for the register area which I do believe will compliment the nursery and vice versa...so she also is anxious for us to get going this year. The good thing is we do not need to take what little profit will be made this year out to survive b/c we can live off of his income and put it towards the next year...good thing b/c on such short notice I do not see it being a lot...

Hopefully soon I will be able to contribute more than a bunch of questions to this board.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Kimmie

Comments (23)

Sponsored