SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluegreen603

start-up logistics

bluegreen603
12 years ago

I have been researching this forum, the web in general, and all of the books I can read on the subject of starting my own nursery. I have owned businesses before (which had nothing to do with the nursery trade), so I understand the accounting, taxes, zoning etc. part of it, but I'm still a little fuzzy on the licensing procedure for nurseries. I know they vary a bit state to state. I am in Indiana, and I know I have to have a nursery dealers license and get inspected, but when does that happen? I don't even have a nursery built yet. Below I have laid out the steps by how I THINK it would happen...but I am hoping to have my list put in the correct order if I have it wrong. :)

1) visit accountant and maybe lawyer and officially set up business as sole proprietor or LLC (haven't decided yet). Part of this will be getting my tax id number.

2) Apply for Nursery Dealers License and tax re-sale license from state of Indiana.

3) Set up nursery infrastructure (which I can't do before the business is legitimate to get the best pricing).

4) Start ordering plants (liners, cuttings, etc.)from wholesale sources (because I will now have the proper documentation to show that I am a legitimate nursery.

5)Grow, market,sell, etc. and hopefully make a little money one day. :)

At what point would the state inspect my nursery? And if they inspect before they grant you a nursery license, how am I supposed to buy plants? I am planning on starting very small...more of a glorified hobby than anything, but I'm assuming that even if I just want to sell plants at the Farmer's Market or on ebay, I still need the Nursery License, right? I definitely need it to get the best prices on stock, I know...

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance for your help!

Jill

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County