SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pkapeckopickldpepprz

Ideal potting medium for peppers

I have a hit or miss success with different varieties of soil/soiless types of mediums. I thought a base of Pro Mix with added bark chips as well as other ammendments worked well for a bunch of peppers but not all for some reason. I started the Lemon Drop seedlings and they germinated fine but all the transplants went into a high peat based medium they all started wilting which was odd. I usually atributed the wilting to have no enough airation and well draining properties. This used to occur in the mixes I had that used a base of Miracle Grow Garden Soil that was very heavy and held too much water. Any thoughts as to why certain varieties love peat and others not so much?

As a side note a friend gave me an unknown pepper plant (looks similar to a Santa Fe) and it was planted in what looks like typical Florida sugar sand. It looks lush and deep dark green and quite honest, healthier than any of mine that I use special mixes and thorough fertilizer / mineral supplementation. Odd that this is the case, although I did notice most of his pepper plants were in qhat looked like heavy shade whereas most of mine are in full sun. Thoughts?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus