SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camaria

Need advice for wild flower meadow site preparation.

camaria
16 years ago

Hi,

I'm currently preparing a site in Alberta (Zone 2) for native wildflowers/native grass. I have little experience with this, but have gathered some resources online. The half acre area I want to naturalize is sandy/gravelly, with good drainage. Right now its mostly dandelions and quack grass. Early this summer, I've rototilled it and have since applied round up twice. I was thinking of using round up once more in the spring to tackle the weeds that come with spring rains, and planting my wildflower seeds (after seed preparation) early June (We have frost till June here).

Okay here's my question:

Since I've only done part of a season site preparation, will next spring be to early to plant? Should I wait untill Fall? Or the Spring after that?

I know I don't have to do seed preparation if I plant in the fall, but my local seed provider, who has several wildflower meadows in the area recommended seeding in the spring. They said that way you can spray round up on the weeds that crop up with the spring rains, and seed later that spring.

Any recommendations?

Comments (14)

Sponsored