SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenturtle116

Pygmy Date Palm roots are exposed

greenturtle116
15 years ago

I have a concern about my date plam that I have growing in a large plastic pot. I've had this plant for close to 15 years now. it started as a store bought plant that came with 3 trunks. About 3 years into having the plant the smallest one died leaving me 2, and a copule years later the 2nd shoot died leaving me the one and largest plant. The pot is about 5 gallons. I place the plant outside every spring in a filterd light enviroment and pull it in each fall and place in a bright east facing room.

The plant seems to be doing very well foliage wise but it over the years has been slowly pushing itself out of its pot. The plant is now probably about 6 inches out of the soil and it seems to grow even further out of the soil each winter. By this, i mean the base of the trunk is being held up 6 inches off the soil by a series of hardened roots that are acting like more trunk. Ive tried multiple times to do some minor root-ball triming then repotting the plant so that the soil comes all the way up to the base of the trunk. Within 2 months the plant will somehow push itself back up out of the soil.

What is it doing, why is it doing it, is it harming my plant and how can i correct this problem (if it is a problem)? Any advice would be great. If anyone needs to see pictures I can take and send you some.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living