SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nycynthias

Lusting for a Lavender Alternative??

nycynthias
13 years ago

As I mention in many of my posts, I am absolutely in love with catmint (nepeta). I have a hard time growing lavender in my heavy clay soil, but I really wanted the look of a lavender-walk along my front walkway. I substituted catmint of several varieties, including Walker's Low and Blue Wonder. These plants were small 1 qt sizes when they went in the ground in August (!!!) of last year. Not only have they flourished, but the awesome thing is that they bloom literally from mid-May to early November in my Zone 6 New York garden. Another bonus: deer absolutely hate them! In fact I can't think of any pest or problem bothers them. The flowers are not really that fragrant, though the foliage can be, but they do have semi-fuzzy leaves. The deer hate them so much that I use them as permanent deer-repellant around my roses as well.

I just wanted to share a few photos I snapped this morning, to give you potager-gardeners an option in case you also love the look of lavender but have a hard time growing it in your soil/zone. It makes a fantastic border, as you can see, but it also makes a great addition to any perennial bed or even a rock garden (I have them in both scenarios elsewhere in the property).

This is the front walkway to my house:

Comments (15)

Sponsored