SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wxman81

Brief warm up today, decided to look at palms

wxman81
15 years ago

Well, our deep freeze has temporarily ended and we are actually up to 33F outside as I type this. Our coldest night so far was -11F, and our coldest day so far only had a high of -4F. Wind chills fell to about -40F for awhile during the last arctic blast. Since it briefly warmed up, I decided to take the lids off the palms and see how they made it through the arctic blast. Remember, I had GFI issues about two weeks ago and my power cut off to the backyard palms, and their enclosures got down to 19.1F. I have since replaced the GFI with a regular outlet and the issues stopped. Out of seven palms, I took pictures of four. The cycas revoluta doesn't have a lid and I don't want to lift the enclosure and get snow in it, but it looks green through the plastic. Two trachycarpus fortunei seedlings I'm trying to overwinter without heat are under milk jugs, mulch, and two feet of snow. I think they will make it just fine, but I won't know until March when I uncover them. Here are pictures of four my my seven palms.

Backyard butia capitata. Saw 19.1F one morning when GFI tripped and power died to enclosure. Other than that brief drop, the coldest it has seen is 32F. No visible damage.

Backyard washingtonia robusta. Saw 19.1F one morning when GFI tripped and power died to enclosure. Other than that brief drop, the coldest it has seen is 32F. Looks like moderate leaf burn/leaf curf. Feels kind of crispy to the touch. I'm hoping it makes it through the winter and comes back in full force in the summer. What do you guys think, is it a goner?

Front yard washingtonia robusta. Coldest it has seen is 27.1F briefly during the arctic intrusion last weekend. No visible damage.

Front yard trachycarpus fortunei. Coldest it has seen is 27.1F briefly during the arctic intrusion last weekend. No visible damage.

I wonder if this is the furthest north someone has tried to overwinter washingtonia robustas with all their fans. I know a guy in Iowa has overwintered one but I think he cut off all the fans and then mummy wrapped it. I really want this to be a success come spring. Just can't have anymore power issues!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz