SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

My micro-oasis in the UK

Hello, not my usual forum, but I've only just found this particular one.

I recently took part in a GW-UK swap for a batch of Washingtonia Robusta palm seeds. This prompted me to remember I still had 11 seeds off a palm that I had collected whilst on holiday in Spain earlier this month. I posted a pic of the palm and got it ID'd straight away on GW....you guessed it, it was also a W. R. too. Read they were easy to germinate...Anyway, I soaked the seeds I gathered for 24 hours and planted them up on 23rd Nov and this weekend I found I'd got 100% germination in my trusty airing cupboard. (should have got the palm seeds ID'd BEFORE the swap I guess!). Now I have the chance of turning the roadsides of our little hilltop village into a tropical oasis. How good would that be....if only!

Think I may well get back to the UK swap site and offer some of the pre-germinated W.R. palms in exchange for something else to try as I now have a load more to experiment with. Have also got a seed sown Phoenix Canariensis and a P. Dactylifera which are thriving....indoors of course!

Gill.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living