SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
austinl_gw

Native Arkansas Palmettos (9 pictures)

austinl
17 years ago

Sabal Minor Expedition 2006

November 4, 2006

I drove down to southern Arkansas this weekend to visit our states sabal minor population near the Saline River. The dwarf palmettos tend to grow in the low lying areas near the river, but there are some on higher ground as well, similar to the ones in Oklahoma. The first stand of dwarf palmettos was rather small in size growing in a low-lying deciduous hardwood forest. They grow in a very light colored gray soil (mud) that is very mucky, wet, and bog-like. ItÂs the kind of mud that will stick to your shoes! The roots of the minors go straight down into the muddy muck making them almost impossible to dig up with success. I didnÂt even attempt to dig any palmettos.

They were scattered about in the forested area. It has been rather dry lately so I was able to walk among them without getting my shoes muddy. I was in sabal minor heaven!

{{gwi:1178995}}

Notice the distinctive V-shape of the fronds.

{{gwi:1178996}}

This is a picture of me with the palmettos. I am about 6"1Â in height so these palmettos were about 3 feet high. They are rather smallÂnothing like the North Carolina monsters! They were still very beautiful though.

{{gwi:1178999}}

In some places, they were growing very densely all throughout the forest. They must be in deep shade during the summer months and in mostly full sun in the winter. Palmettos also grow in pine forest. They look the same as the ones growing in hardwoods.

{{gwi:1179000}}

I want to show you the inflorescence on the Arkansas minors because they vary from each ecotype. This particular palmetto is growing on the edge of a field close to some hardwood trees. It is not growing in a low area. The inflorescence are over 6 feet high on all the minors. Is this taller than the typical palmetto?

{{gwi:1179001}}

As I headed along a small tributary to the Saline River, I found the biggest minors that IÂve ever seen in Arkansas! They were clustered together and the fronds were huge. The plants reached a height of 5 feet with a few almost 6 feet. The first thing I thought was, "Are they the Sabal ÂLouisiana that Miriam Bomhard found in the 1900Âs?"

Upon further inspection, it appeared that they were just very large palmettos, possibly a different type of minor compared to the smaller ones. I noticed some large plants had seed this year, but most of them in this area did not have any inflorescence. I also noticed that the smaller minors in the first few pictures have a distinct V-shape to their fronds while these larger ones do not have a distinctive V. Are they a different ecotype?

{{gwi:1179002}}

Here are a few pictures showing the height of the largest palmettos.

{{gwi:1179003}}

{{gwi:1179005}}

This is my palmetto partner, my girlfriendÂs dad. He has lived in the area all of his life so he knows where some palmettos are. Notice the huge fronds. I forgot to cut one and place it on the front of the truck like Gary does!

{{gwi:1179006}}

The wildlife had already eaten more than 70% of the fruit on most plants. The larger palmettos had more fruit. Could it be that they ripen later than the smaller ones? Quite possibly.

It was a very fun and exciting time searching for the palmettos and admiring their beauty. I just know there are some huge palmettos just waiting for me to find them. If you have never seen palmettos growing in the wild, I suggest taking a road trip and experiencing their full glory in their native habitat. There is nothing quite like it.

All of the pictures from my expedition can be found on my Webshots page at http://community.webshots.com/user/austinl1980 .

By the way, if anyone has a copy of MiriamÂs writings regarding the palms in southern Arkansas, I would really like to read it.

I hope you enjoyed my documentary.

Austin

Little Rock

Comments (30)