SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gottagarden

My circular potager - new this year **10 photos **

gottagarden
16 years ago

This year I created a new "potager" - veggies and flowers. I decided I wanted something a little different than tidy little rows, so I created a circular garden with a spiral path. The kids love running along the spiral paths. In the Fall of 2006 I spread 5 truckloads of horse manure, and in the spring I laid out the paths using hose. This is my first year, it will be better next year.

I also posted on the cottage garden forum, but thought it was probably better posted here, for those who never get over to that forum.

{{gwi:636897}}

Laying out the paths in a spiral pattern

{{gwi:636898}}

By the fall it had really filled in!

{{gwi:636899}}

Here you can see some of my delicious vegetables - pumpkins, onions, lettuce, beans, cabbage, cucumbers, sweet potatoes, peppers, carrots, tomatoes, gourds, and dahlias for cutting flowers. And the hose has been replaced with stone paths.

{{gwi:636901}}

Old ladders make strong, colorful, free plant supports - here for various small gourds.

{{gwi:636903}}

Got carried away with the old ladders ;-)

{{gwi:636906}}

Every veggie garden needs a scarecrow - this one wears my daughters old overalls and hides behind the pumpkin patch

{{gwi:636909}}

Here you can see the squash trying to escape its boundaries

{{gwi:636911}}

I'm a tomatoholic - I love all things saucy and we did a lot of canning in the fall.

{{gwi:636913}}

{{gwi:636915}}

My dahlias were busting out all over. I had several "mystery dahlias" that had lost their tags. Very late, on 4th of July weekend I planted them, and I was amazed how quickly they bloomed and had cutting flowers all through the fall.

{{gwi:636916}}

Here's me and my kids enjoying the harvest. They just LOVED picking gourds and loading them into the wagon. We had several hundred and gave them away at school and anywhere we could find people to take them.

This year I will be experimenting with asparagus and new veggies. Your input would be appreciated if there are any special veggies I simply must try.

Hope you enjoyed it the show :-)

Comments (43)

Sponsored