SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Tomato Varieties For Salsa

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

On another thread, OGSW asked about varieties of tomatoes for salsa. So, everyone, ready to make some recommendations? I'll start but hope the rest of you will add yours as well.

In general, paste or plum tomates are better for salsa (and for making your own tomato sauce, catsup, tomato paste, etc.) because they have a lower water content and cook down more quickly than tomatoes that have more water or juice. Although most paste tomatoes are plum-shaped (elongated), there are a few that have a standard round shape.

Many paste or plum types are determinates, which means they set their main crop all at the same time. The advantage with these types is that you get a lot of ripe tomatoes all at once, which is convenient for large-batch processing. Some of the more common and more easily found paste tomatoes (in case you purchase your tomato plants as seedlings instead of raising them yourself from seed) are:

Roma, Viva Italia, Rio Grande, San Marzano and San Marzano Redorta and Burpee's Big Mama (the largest paste tomato plants I've ever grown). If space is a concern, or if you want a smaller plant that you can squeeze into a tighter location, Window Box Roma is small enough to indeed grow in window boxes, but also grows equally well in the ground. Sometimes I put a row of Window Box Roma plants alongside the edge of a raised bed that contains a row of taller, larger tomato plants farther back in the bed.

Some of the heirloom, or open-pollinated, paste or plum types include: Opalka, Polish Linguisa, Amish Paste, Grandma Mary's Paste, Jersey Devil and Martino's Roma. For flavor, it is hard to beat Opalka.

We make salsa from any and all of the tomatoes we grow, and the salsas I like best are usually made from a combination of various heirlooms, including Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Brandy Boy, Momotaro and Brandywine. With these larger, juicer tomatos, I usually cut them up and leave them sitting in a strainer or colander in the sink for a couple of hours. This allows a lot of the excess moisture to drain away before we make the salsa or sauce.

And, if you enjoy playing with colors, you can make salsas in various colors using tomatoes like Yellow Plum, Purple Russian, Black Pear or Black Plum, or Orange Banana. You do have to be careful about mixing different colors together though, or you can end up with a brown salsa that doesn't look very appealing.

There are several great tomato seed sources that offer many kinds of paste and plum tomato seed, including Tomato Growers Supply Company (www.tomatogrowers.com), Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds (www.rareseeds.com), Sandhill Preservation Center (www.sandhillpreservation.com), Seed Savers Exchange (www.seedsavers.org) and Victory Seed (www.victoryseed.com).

I've linked Tomato Growers Supply below just so you can click on the link and see the many tomatoes they offer.

Good luck choosing your salsa tomatoes,

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Paste Tomatoes from TGSC

Comments (6)