SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

seedlings have branches everywhere

Hi, tis me again... I just couldn't help snapping a couple of pix of my 4 precious seedlings as I can't believe the 'branch growth' that 3 of them are putting on...the first 3 have several branches each, no 4 doesn't appear to be going down that route. Thought at first they would just stay as stubs and not extend or leaf out but there's no stoppin 'em now...take a peek...

This is the biggest/strongest seedling so far with six branches each with their own leaves....lucky or what??

Hopefully they will grow into short sturdy plants as that would be just perfect considering I have to grow them potted indoors and store them during the colder months. The 2 largest have roots popping through the drainage holes so I guess it's time for potting on...again. Any white specks are the remnants of some sawdust as we have at last had a dry spell during which we have been able to fix the opening windows to the g/h, must wash that off. Had to bring indoors for pix as so much foliage going on in g/h you can't tell what belongs to who, it's like a jungle in there!

Thanks for putting up with me!

Gill.

Comments (26)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

They look great and really are branching out like crazy. That should make for a very full attractive plant when they get bigger. More branches = more inflos!
    Karyn

• josegabriele
    16 years ago

Your branches are unusual in that they do not fork. They are branching off the main stem and the main stem continues to grow. It is very interesting.

Did you do anythging to your seeds, such as treating them with some chemical, before you planted them?

• Related Discussions

branches and sticks everywhere

Q

Comments (1)
    I think it will all be ok. It's just the circle of life. In a very new garden, the growth is thin and flexible. In a more mature garden, there will be twigs and branches that fall or snap. Have you read about hugelkultur (sp?) they are talking about it on the soil/compost forum. It's a way to use your fallen branches and twigs. Very interesting. I bet once you prune and shape your privet, it will respond beautifully. Thank goodness for the daffodils I say!
    ...See More

Maple Seedlings Everywhere!

Q

Comments (3)
    The corn meal needs to be applied before the maple seeds germinate. It may get any slow starters but the rest will need to be removed manually. And yes, that should take care of the issue, at least for this season. FWIW, our native big leaf maples are prodigious seed producers and this procedure is an annual occurrence around here. There are literally thousands of baby maple seedlings under any larger tree (or within the prevailing wind flow) every spring.
    ...See More

Maple seedlings everywhere

Q

Comments (28)
    I know this is an old thread, but I came across it today because my lawn is covered in thousands of tiny maple tree sprouts. I have a large lawn (about 1.5 acres), and I am wondering if I were to "quarantine off" a section of the lawn far from the house to not be mowed, what is the chance that any of the maple seedlings would survive? This seems unlikely, but my wife I thought it would be pretty cool to allow a section to become forested with these maple trees. Does anyone have a ranging guess as to how many might survive in a 100' x 75' section if the ground is covered with trees? I live in northeast TN. Thank you for any wisdom/thoughts!
    ...See More

Getting seedlings to branch

Q

Comments (0)
    I have been getting success at least I think so getting seedlings to branch. I have been clipping the top quarter inch or less just enough to get the new leaves off when they are about 4 inches tall for my experiment I took a dozen seedlings have no name and had 8 of them branch out of 12 has anyone else tried this and had success I forgot to add I also used gibberellic acid
    ...See More
  • greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn...I hope they do get to flower eventually and with the possibility of multi-inflos I will definately be keeping all my fingers crossed. Am really pleased they are growing like this.
    JG...I see what you mean in that the main trunk hasn't actually forked to produce the branches as they have grown out of the nodes. Nothing special at all was done with the seeds, they were just soaked briefly in plain old UK tap water, but I guess that is treated with a veritable cocktail of chemicals!!
    The left hand two are the same colour...white/yellow and other second two are red/pink ...all 4 are from a batch of seeds from Lauri as I failed miserably with my others and none sprouted.
    Gill.

• icotte
    16 years ago

How old are these seedlings? They look great!

Melba

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, Gill, congratulations. you must be be a very proud plumie parent.

sue

• kasiec
    16 years ago

Hi Gil - your seedlings look great. Look at that multi brach seedling go. Love it.

Kasie

• josegabriele
    16 years ago

Did I understand you correctly? The two on the right are one variety (yellow/white)and the two on the left are another (pink/red). That is so unusual that three of them are branching at leaf nodes. I have never seen that. I've planted a number of seeds and never have had that happen. I can see one variety doing it, but what are the odds that happening with two different varieties. I have had them fork, but not branch like yours.

I am curious to know if anyone else has seen this.

• kbauman
    16 years ago

Hi Gil
    Fantastic..great seedlings. YEAAAA Very nice one, congratulations. You should be so proud
    Karen B

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi all.
    Melba....the seeds were planted 17th March and began to sprout on 24th March.
    Sue/Kasie/Karen...yes I am so pleased as this was my second, no wait for it, third attempt at plumie seed growing! Don't normally have probs with seeds, but plumies proved to be especially tricky for me. A few from my first batch from Bill did germinate, but I never got them to do anything further, they just faded away. My third eBayUK ones never even got that far!
    JG...yes you got it! maybe I didnt explain myself properly, knew what I meant to say anyway!! The fourth one, the smallest of the 2 red/pinks shows no sign whatsoever of brancing.
    ...and to Lauri who kindly sent me 2 pks of differing labelled seeds, I guess I will have to wait for those elusive flowers to appear to confirm exactly which is which...not that I am doubting you Lauri for one moment!...I was grateful for the seeds whatever they turn out to be....maybe I am just lucky in having the 3 develop like this, will just have to wait and see eh?
    It's all so interesting watching them progress that d/h is convinced I've lost the plot and turned into a plumie-nerd!
    Off to watch and tend my babies!! ha!
    Gill.

• brighty
    16 years ago

Gill those are beautiful.

I planted mine the first week of April. I now have 70 seedlings but none of them are branching. Yours look so healthy.

I had to get my U.S. ruler out to convert centimeters to inches to get a feel for how tall yours are. Ha Ha!

• plumeriastix
    16 years ago

Wow Gill those are awesome! You could maybe start a new business sending those of us here in the sates bottled UK water for our seedlings, LOL! I don't know what you're doing but keep doing it girl!

They kind of remind me of the way a saguaro cactus branches. I now have to go and have a talk with my three little ones. I'll be back with an update on how that goes, ROFL

• musarojo
    16 years ago

Gill, the seedlings are worth their weight in emeralds if the branching is a new mutation that can be passed on to their offspring. In the meantime, you may want to consider not drinking your tap water if you think it had anything to do with this. Your Celadine that produced the mutant leaf is getting water from the tap as well?

Philip

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brighty...what on earth do you intend to do with 70 seedlings?? Can see how you ended up with so many...you just have to plant all the seeds just to see if ANY would grow...and they all did! Good for you. Sorry!! couldn't find my trusty imperial ruler or would have used that, can't do with these pesky centimeters personally, hate the things!
    Plumerastix...all my plants are watered now with rain water and I add a dose of Phostrogen each week, also Rooster Booster, aka 'chicken poo pellets' were mixed in with the potting soils this spring...will carry on with that I think. Had a cactus ID'd as a Saguaro, believe thay get QUITE large...may need another g/h, hehe!
    Philip...crikey, thanks for the warning...bit late in the day though...thoughts of a 6ft branching version of me is Scaaaaaary! LOL! Yep, mutant leafed Celadine was watered with tap water (at first) while it lived in the house, more convenient at that time, now gets the rain water as it's relegated to the g/h.
    Nothing else seems to be growing oddly, although I have noticed my d/h has developed hair on his head where previously there was very little plus an annoying facial tick!!!
    Gill.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey, just spied my other post...my DR seedling is doing the very same isn't it... am beginning to wonder!...but then we don't care too much for the taste of Phostrogen or Rooster Booster so I guess we are ok really.
    Gill.
    (off to buy some botttled H2O just in case)

• plumeriastix
    16 years ago

Gill, you are to funny, LOL! Maybe Musarojo was right and you shouldn't be drinking thet tap water. Do you have your own well by chance or are you on a public water system. Right before I moved here I lived in a house with a well. The water was tested and undrinkable. Can't remember which chemical was so high but I remember thinking at the time I was gonna glow in the dark, LOL!

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Gill I'm not sure if you remember but I had some seedlings develop a bunch of branches when they were about that size. I also thought it was kind of unusual. I went digging through the seedlings to find them this morning. They are about 2' tall now and still have a couple branches but most just sort of disappeared. This is what they look like now.
    Karyn

• felixcat
    16 years ago

Hello Gill, those seedlings are really lovely and sturdy. I too was very pleased when a lot of my seedlings grew branches. Here are a few which are now 3 years old and includes.Orange Splendor,Laheina Dream ,Tricolour,and Jeanne Moragne.I wish they would hurry up and flower!
    Hazel.
    {{gwi:1182097}}

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Hazel yours and mine did the same thing. I wonder if Gill's will too. The branching is very low on the main stem. Did yours start out with several more branches and only 2 or 3 developed further? Mine all started with a number of branches, similar to Gill's seedlings but over time they either stopped growing or in most cases just disappeared. Your seedlings look good and should be getting some flowers pretty soon. Do you also know what the pollinator was or just the seed parent? I have no idea what mine are, just mixed color plumies. Gill do you have any idea what variety your seeds came from?
    Karyn

• felixcat
    16 years ago

Hello Karyn, My named seeds came from various e-bay USA sellers also I have many branched thai and hawaii 3 yr seedlings from an asian supplier. They all branched as soon as the cotyledons sent up the main stem and none of them were lost. I have no idea what the pollinators were, just the seed parent,or even if the seeds I bought were a faithful source,you have to trust the seller but of course I realise seedlings don't come true either (hopefully I'll have some gems!)
    Hazel.

• tdogdad
    16 years ago

I have had a number of plants that did the multisplit. I had a grove farm that split 14 times in about 2002. I let it grow naturally but the number of arms seemed to limit the development. The smaller branches became weak and the plant was not doing as well as others. It did not survive the frost this year. Then I had a cindy moragne seedling that split 17 times. I picked out the best looking three branches and cut off all the others. that plant flowered beautifully with a new flower and is now over five feet tall. I now believe that 4 branches is the maximum for a stem to support and three is best. Bill
    Grove farm:
    {{gwi:1182104}}

• karyn1
    16 years ago

All my seedlings that put out multiple branches early on reduced to 2 or 3 additional branches on their own. I had some that had 6 or more small branches after a few months and the most any now have is 4 including the main stem.
    Karyn

• littlem_2007
    16 years ago

hello, bill, just for my future reference: how old or how big was your seedling when you decided to thin out the branches? thanks.

sue

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Karyn, hi there. These were from some seeds that Lauri sent me and we have no name for them, just their colours....yellow/white and red/pink. One packet did have a coloured pic in it, here it is....

I shall be VERY pleased if the 2 red/pink seedlings turn out like this whatever they are!
    Gill.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Even though the pic is grainy that's a beautiful flower. I'd definitely be pleased if I had a plant that looked like that. Some of my seedlings are really big, at least 2' tall with loads of foliage. They are going to be good sized plants by the time they reach blooming age. I'm so used to cuttings blooming by the time they are the size that my seedlings are right now. I wish it didn't take so long but I can't wait to see what I end up with. I just hope there's at least a bit of variety.
    Karyn

• brighty
    16 years ago

Thanks all for showing your seedlings in various stages. It gives me encouragement that mine will eventually grow passed the 2" stage. (ho hummmm)

Gill, Very adorable, they look nice and healthy.
    Hazel, Those are beautiful, I hope they bloom for you soon!
    Karyn, So pretty! How old are your 2' seedlings?
    Bill, how long did your seedlings take to finally flower? Lucky you, extra cuttings on that one. Yea!

Brighty

• cambodja
    15 years ago

Hello Gill and others...

....I was just wondering how your seedlings are doing one year later????? Would love to see some pictures!

Martina

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living