SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mulberryknob

cold-weather harvest

mulberryknob
15 years ago

DH and I pulled 3 five gallon buckets of good sized turnips from the garden Friday. That left a lot of radish sized ones in the garden. I didn't thin them enough and they didn't all make. Most of what produced good roots was along the edges of the four foot wide bed. So now here is another experiment. We're going to find out just how cold hardy turnips are. They have already survived 18, now we'll find out if they can make it through the expected 8 or 9. And also find out if the deer will eat them. So far they haven't, altho they did start in on what's left of the Brussels sprouts plants that I planted in Sept which didn't make.

I found a lovely clump of deer tongue lettuce that escaped the deer. So far it has survived and also found a plant or two of what looks like baby bib lettuce. Both of these self seeded from a mix of heat tolerant lettuce that was left from a late spring planting. If the deer leave that it will be interesting to see how long it makes it. The black seeded simpson and some red lettuce that I planted in Sept is long gone. The arugula is still alive, but the deer have started to trim the top of it. I also found a few plants of cilantro left, also selfseeded, that doesn't show any damage at all and tastes great. The spinach has mostly succumbed.

I planted parsnips in Sept despite George's advice to wait till late Jan--only a little, still have plenty of seed left--and those tiny plants still look fine. Another experiment. The chinese cabbage that I planted at the same time suffered from neglect. I didn't thin it enough or water it enough in Oct before the cool weather and although it is alive, it looks limp.

We did get all the leaves raked up from around the house and layered over the asparagus patch--all 2,000sq ft. And we filled a four foot high bin as big as a king bed with well tramped down leaves over which we layered chicken litter from the chicken house. Also spread litter--manure and pine shavings--over next year's corn bed.

Now it's time to turn to cutting next year's firewood.

Also need to get the seed orders in. I ordered from Baker's online and asked them to send me a catalog but haven't seen it. I guess I'll have to go online and ask again as I know some people have already gotten theirs.

And as always, this time of the year I yearn for a greenhouse and think about what I would grow if I had one. Mostly cool weather salad greens I think and a few tomatoes that I wouldn't expect to get much off of during the coldest part of the year but would hope to extend the season fall and spring. I would heat the house only enough to keep it from freezing, as I do the glassed porch now, about 36-40 overnight.

My plant bench with the heated cable is empty right now. I don't usually start anything until early to mid February, but I think I'm going to plug it in and sow trays of lettuce, spinach, mustard, cress, radish and use the tops in winter salad. Don't know why I never tried that before. With the heating cables on the bottom and a plastic tent over the top, it should work. I'll find out and keep you posted if anyone is interested.

Comments (2)