SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Nine Miserable Degrees This Morning.....

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

At Burneyville, the OK Mesonet station nearest our house, the overnight/early morning low hit 9 degrees. I don't know that we ever hit 9 degrees at all last winter. At our house, a few miles east of Burneyville, we only went down to 12 degrees. I think 12 degrees is too cold. This morning the lily pond did freeze over.

Out in the unheated greenhouse, the solar collectors held enough heat that the temperature only fell to 24. However, the pepper and tomato plants out there looked pretty pitiful this morning and I believe they are done. The lettuce in the greenhouse looks fine, only it is bolting because I have let the greenhouse get too hot for it on some days that we were in the 80s.

I haven't looked at the big garden or at the plants in the garage or lettuce in the cattle trough yet because that would mean walking through the cold air to reach them. I'm going to wait until it warms up to at last freezing before I go outside,.

If it wasn't winter here before, it is winter here now and it is cold. I'll likely get to wear my new winter coat (purchased in November 2011 and never worn because it wasn't cold enough for a coat last year) today when I go out to feed the chickens.

It also is foggy. Right now, staying inside is the best option.

Hope everyone who had plants covered up and protected finds them alive underneath their covers today!

Dawn

Comments (10)