SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mixdplate

Whiteflies in Herb garden

mixdplate
11 years ago

Two weeks ago I cut back a bunch of grape leaf looking vines hanging over our fence from the neighbors yard. They seem to have been infested with white flies. I have small raised herb garden not far from that part of the fence and at the time did not see any signs of the whiteflies in my herbs. This morning I went out to rinse them as I wanted to harvest my two large oregano plants later in the afternoon. Once I started spraying, a swarm of whiteflies became airborne. They seem to have come out of the Rosemary and Oregano the most. Thyme, Lemon Thyme, and sage seemed ok but not sure. After some quick research, I ran out and purchased a small bag of worm castings and dumped it all around the plants, working it lightly into the soil. I tried to check the leaves of all the plants for signs of the flies but did not see any ON the plants they just kept flying around whenever I disturb the plants. I would just like to know, IF I am able to rid the herbs of these flies, are the plants still safe for harvesting used for culinary purposes? And in case the worm castings do not work, what other options do I have? I'd be heartbroken if I have to cut them down.

Comments (12)