SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnwho

Cold weather plumeria blooms...

donnwho
17 years ago

Great fun reading the stream of hints and tips. As a teenager I could never quite see why my parents were so into plumerias. They brought their first stem back from Hawaii in 1965. By the time my father passed they had a whole back yard full of the beautiful flowers. One plant was so big that it grew right through the bucket and into the ground and stood over 8' tall and 10' across.

Well I took a cutting or two from their back yard (in Glendale CA) and brought them up to my home in San Leandro, CA and planted them in my back and side yards. We get too much rain, not enough sun and during the winter the temp drops and I panic.

It is a constant challenge but every year they grow a little taller and I get several flowers. Half of them I leave so I can see them when looking out my office window and the other half give to my mother. She is the hit of her assisted living residence.

I guess I can't expect too much when my plumerias have a view of the Golden Gate Bridge and the skyline of San Francisco. But before I return from my annual pilgrimage to Hawaii I am sure I will buy a few more cuttings and think about my dad.

So after all that do you have any hints or tips for Bay Area Plumerias?

Comments (2)