SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
waurika_gw

Almond trees, climing roses & other stuff

Waurika
11 years ago

Thrilled to learn we can grow almond trees here in Oklahoma! This was brought up over on "my" fall apple tree planting thread.

Is there anything different I need to do to the ground than I would do for an apple tree? Boron or no boron added to the soil?

I intend to try out the same kind of almond tree as Dawn has, since I am so clueless. I am more excited about getting almonds, than I am about having apples!

I do not have a whole lot of room, so a couple/three apple trees, a couple of pear trees, & squeezing in some blackberries is about the most I can do. Thank goodness the online catalong says the almond tree is self pollinating. Is this true? As I am a little stumped as to where I could squeeze in a second almond tree.

As it is, I do a lot of container gardening, simply due to lack of space. Thrilled to get container tomato ideas from Dawn too. *smile* I have just been buying plants that the local feed store stocks & it always comes with leaf miner. *grrr*

And last but not least, any suggestions for a THORNLESS climbing rose that does well here in Oklahoma heat? I love the Queen Elizabeth rose, but I understand the climbing variety is a real dud when it comes to blooming.

Thanks in advance for all the help. :)

Comments (8)