SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilene_in_neok

Uses for green tomatoes

ilene_in_neok
14 years ago

I tried a recipe I found somewhere -- I think on Recipezaar. I've got all the green tomato relish I can handle, and what with two freezing nights that didn't materialize, twice now I've gone out and stripped the vines of tomatoes just really too small to ripen. Of course you know I had to modify it a bit.

Green Tomato Cake

Original recipe called for only 3 tbsp cocoa, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 3/4 cups brown sugar. I found it too sweet and not chocolatey enough. So I substituted 1 cup granulated sugar instead of the brown, increased the cocoa and left out the spices. I also did not put in the vanilla. Next time I might add about 1/2 teaspoon salt, even though theres salt in the margarine. This makes nice moist cupcakes. I doubled the recipe, made cupcakes and a bundt cake. Even with the bakerÂs pan coat (equal parts shortening, cooking oil, and flour) on the pan, those chocolate chips that migrated through the batter to the bottom remained stuck to the pan after the cake was released. The bundt cake was delicious with chocolate syrup drizzled over it. The cupcakes were really good with peanut butter frosting on them, which I got from my friend Sandy. Yum.

2 1/2 cups flour

1/4 cup cocoa

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 cup sugar

1 cup buttermilk (or kefir, George)

3/4 cup margarine, softened

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup pureed green tomato

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup walnuts, chopped

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl. Add buttermilk, margarine, eggs, vanilla and tomatoes. Beat at medium speed until well blended. Fold in chips and nuts. Pour batter into greased and floured 13x9 inch pan. Bake at 350º, 35-40 minutes, or until pick comes out clean.

Sandy's Peanut Butter Frosting:

Sandy said, "Most of the time I use all of the sugar. The water makes it very light and it doesn't have a strong after taste. You may have enough icing for two cakes, but this is the best recipe I have ever made."

1/3 cup crisco

1/3 cup peanut butter

2 tsp vanilla

1 (2 lb. bag) 10x sugar

1/4 cup ice water approx.

Cream together on low speed peanut butter, crisco, and vanilla. When it is smooth, start adding powdered sugar. About a cup at a time. Alternate with ice water. Beat on high speed. Keep adding powdered sugar and water until you get a stiff consistancy. It will be light and fluffy and have a good peanut butter taste.

Comments (6)