SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

soil erosion/hillside/picture/ too long

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
12 years ago

Do any of you here have information about soil erosion on a hillside? I thought I would ask here first, but on my Roses Forum there are many people in California who know about damage after a fire, and can give me sites to go to.

Date of picture - June 2, 2011. The roses are much larger now.

{{gwi:283097}}

In my case, we have lived here since 1979. Little by little the soil has eroded. A few years ago the city came through and pulled out (literally "pulled out" many pesky willow trees, and big ugly bushes. They especially needed to clear the creek and the lower level before the creek.

I took advantage of their efforts, and sprayed Round Up so that I could handle the hillside better. I removed probably more than 20 rose bushes so that the area could be manageable.

Now I realize that mulch and soil will not hold the hill. I can plant crape myrtles and grasses, but need to plan what I am doing before I have a cliff.

The Master Gardeners cannot help except to plant vines and other things I don't want.

I want a neat area of bushes and crape myrtles. I have roses at the top, and a few down the hill just a little. I do not want grass, and am preparing to purchase rocks to fill in, once I get the area prepared.

I think I need tiers that are supported with cement blocks. I do not know if there is a material that will hold the cement blocks, and am not sure that they will support the tiers.

If I don't have a plan, I will no doubt lose whatever I plant here.

I want maintenance, not flowers, certainly not bermuda, and no morning glories or other vines. Forget about mint.

Have any of you faced this situation before, and can you tell me what would be good to do? Trucks cannot get through, so soil, rocks, whatever there is would have to be hand carried to the back.

This is sooooo long. I am sorry about that. I will appreciate any suggestions you have. We are not rich enough to have it professionally done.

THanks,

Sammy

Comments (7)