SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sammy_gw

soil in pots and compost

sammy zone 7 Tulsa
14 years ago

I keep reading and reading until I am almost dizzy.

This is a better forum for my question than Container, compost, or Tomatoes since we are Oklahoma.

I had a huge success with my first year of growing tomatoes. Of 14 pots, one did not produce, for a good reason, but the others were great. The growing has almost come to an end, and I need to prepare for next year. First I must move my pots, and need to do that before adding soil.

I use 1/2 whiskey barrels, and metal wash tubs that are almost as big. Much of the soil is gone, and will be replaced with new store bought top soil and compost. Since I will be adding more pots, the price of the soil will be high without emptying the containers.

Is it true that I run a huge risk of disease or blight if I use the same lower soil a second year? Is it true that the problem is not losing nutrients that I could replace, but that the problem is that the soil could be contaminated from this year's tomatoes, and could kill all of next year's tomatoes? I will not spray.

I have over 100 roses, and could put the soil on the roses, but that is a chore if unnecessary. (No matter how easy it is to get a truck load of soil, it is not easy to get it to my tomatoes.)

My second question is about compost. I had huge problems with hackberry aphids, and ended up having my trees cut down. Everything in my yard is visible except the area around my tomatoes and electric box. We have used our leaf blower - (mulcher blower) to get the leaves, and have bags of them. I will not be creating a compost pile that is visible, but was wondering about a compost pile in a large bin or trash container. We may end up with about 10 large bags of leaves ground up, and I could add vegetables to it, but am not sure how to do it. We have far too many squirrels, and I don't want to leave it open. Can this be done?

About the hackberry aphids. They have been in our neighbors' trees also. Will they be killed in compost?

I know this is too long of a post, and it is asking questions already asked, but my specific questions don't seem to be addressed.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Sammy

Comments (5)