SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Sammy, Here's A Recipe For 'Potting Soil'

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Sammy,

You mentioned that you had trouble this year with Blossom End Rot (BER) on your tomatoes grown in containers, and I mentioned that I had struggled for years to come up with a potting mix that held enough moisture (but not too much).

In the attached thread, I posted a recipe that details how I mix up the soil for my containers.....and I have a minimum of about 50 containers a year. This is the recipe that works for me here in southern OK. I still water my container-grown tomatoes twice a day, in the early morning and mid-to late-evening (during the hottest summer weather) because it is a soil-less mix that drains well. When I have had heavier mixes that did not drain well, I might get away with only watering once a day or even every other day, but the soil that held more water usually held too much water and that led to root and disease issues.

And, for what it is worth, some tomato varieties (notably Roma and other paste types) are more prone to BER no matter what you do. And, with some varieties, only the earliest tomatoes get BER, and this has more to do with the size of the root system/plant in relation to the number of tomatoes on the plants. (Sometimes, in a mild spring when the tomato plants flower and set fruit exceptionally well before the plants have gotten very big, the plants are still relatively small and struggle to deliver enough moisture to all the tomatoes and that can lead to BER.) Eggplant and peppers also suffer from BER every now and then, but generally not much as tomatoes do.

I generally reuse the soilless potting mix in my containers for years, just adding some new organic Tomato-Tone plant food, and a little compost, manure and greensand every year. When I decide to put new potting mix in a container, I dump the old mix into one of my raised beds, and mix up a new batch. Because I mix up a lot at once, I usually mix it up in a plastic wading pool. You can mix up smaller batches in a wheelbarrow or something similar.

Hope this info helps.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: Old Thread With Recipe for Soil-less Mix

Comments (2)