SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The Revenge of the Deer

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Earlier this year, we finally erected a 7' tall fence to keep the deer out of the veggie garden, replacing a shorter fence that they jumped if they got hungry enough. It was nice not having to share the veggie plants with the deer, but this past week, they have gotten their revenge on our family. Maybe we shouldn't have upset them by putting up that taller fence.....

DEER INCIDENT #1: Since the garden had more or less frozen to the ground when overnight lows dropped down into the mid-20s a couple of weeks ago, I'd left the garden gates open. I figured if the chickens, guineas, rabbits, deer, etc. wanted to go into the garden and scavenge whatever they wanted, it wasn't going to hurt anything. Right? Wrong.

I walked outside around 7:30 a.m. the other morning, and 4 deer that were in the garden went into an absolute tizzy. The smart one ran out through the open garden gate. Good deer. I retreated indoors as quickly as I could so the other three could leave the same way, but they didn't. Instead, it looked like the animal version of The Three Stooges. They ran wildly around the fenced-in garden, knocking over tomato cages and generally bouncing off the 7' tall fence (the top 4 feet is only chicken wire) repeatedly in a desperate effort to get out of the garden. Eventually, they bent (!) several poles and knocked down the fence somewhat and got out. I see a day of fence repair in the near future. I'm keeping the gate closed now too, since they can find their way in but, apparently, can't find their way out through that same gate.

DEER INCIDENT #2: I've had plenty of close calls with deer who are crossing through the yard or forest or whatever, but this time, I had an agressive deer stalking me.

I was walking one of the outdoor dogs on a leash and we were about 1/4 mile from home at about 10 a.m. A deer came out of the fenceline on the west side of the road and crossed the road about 100' ahead of us. So far, so good. It reached the east side of the road, looked at the fence, and decided not to jump it. Instead, it came back out into the middle of the road and headed right for us.

I've had deer stand outside the garden or just over the barbed wire fence in the neighbor's pasture and stomp their hooves, snort or blow air, or even "scream" at me. Generally, though, they have kept their distance. Not this one.

The deer trotted straight towards us, jumping up and down and bouncing from left to right, tossing its head and wagging its big white tail from side to side. It acted just like a puppy that is bouncing back and forth in front of you trying to get you to play with it. When I stopped walking towards it, it stopped for a moment too, but then resumed its forward movement towards us. I started walking backwards because I know better than to turn my back on an aggressive animal. It still kept coming. I called DH who was at home, but he didn't answer his phone. I sent a text message and left a voice mail "Being chased by a deer...." I waved my arms in the air and yelled, trying to scare the deer away, but it kept coming at me.

For about 100' or so, I walked backwards, with the still-calm dog on the leash just staring at the deer as it continued its' slow advance. A couple of times I stopped walking backwards and walked towards the deer, or sideways towards the fence. No matter what I did, the deer advanced, although slowly. Finally, when I was about 100 yards from our driveway, it turned and made its way back to the fenceline, and disappeared into the trees. I was relieved.

As I walked the short distance back to the driveway, my cell phone rang. It was my spouse and he had three questions for me: Was I OK? Was the deer rabid? (How would I know? LOL) and Did the deer have antlers? (Why did this matter?)

DEER INCIDENT #3: A couple of hours ago we were awakened from a nice, sound sleep by a phone call from our DS, informing us he had hit a deer and asking if he needed to call and file a police report. His dad told him no, unless he was going to file a damage report with his insurance company. Of course, we then were wide awake (and I still am), but relieved he was OK. The damage to his vehicle's front driver's side bumper is minor although the deer left a little of his hair behind, stuck at the point of impact.

So, I am thinking that maybe 1t was a mistake to fence the deer out of the garden. Yes, I got to keep the okra, beans and peppers for us to eat, and I guess the deer really missed them. I am wondering if the deer had now exacted their revenge and made clear their displeasure, or if we are in for a really long winter.

We've been here 9.5 years now and this is the first time any of us has hit a deer, the first time we've had deer tear up a fence, and the first time I've had a deer come right at me with apparent malice aforethought. I'm thinking that the deer are out for revenge.......

I put out extra hen scratch and sunflower seeds for them last night in their favorite "secret" eating place on the west side of the barn where the dogs can't see them and bark at them. It seems like it might be a good idea to get back on their good side. I was rewarded with a glimpse of the mama and her two twin fawns. They've been visiting on and off all summer, but I hadn't seen them in a couple of weeks and was wondering if they were OK.

I actually like seeing the deer in general, as long as they aren't eating my veggies, flowers or shrubs. After these three incidents, though, I am wondering if the deer are sitting around with little voo doo dolls resembling members of our family, sticking pins in them and plotting against us.....

Dawn

Comments (6)