SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
formerlyflorantha

Hunter's Wife's Revenge 2010: Upscale pulls?

formerlyflorantha
13 years ago

[Preface] I am sitting at home alone celebrating Hunting Season on Veteran's Day with a bottle of wine and a fabulous piece of cheese mid-afternoon, so please forgive me any missteps I may write and don't hold it against me.

Many years ago I wisely developed a household policy called "Hunter's Wife's Revenge" as a way to cope with September, October, November, and most of December. During this time I get to do whatever I want and spend whatever I want. In honesty, I must state that there was no Revenge in 2009 when the DIY kitchen addition adventure began and DH hardly went hunting and bought no out of state licenses. However, he could not remain saintly forever, and he has since been to rural Minnesota for morels, Alaska for salmon, Montana and Minn. for birds, Wisconsin for a car show, and now the Canadian border for deer.

Having lost out on what I considered a generous bid at the auction house on a fabulous old Sheffield Plate tray, I am sulking. It was to be this year's Revenge. Now, I'm brainstorming for a Plan B.

[Preface ends, editorial mode begins.] You have no idea how hard it is to mess with HTML code after a couple glasses of the good stuff. I cannot resize graphics at this moment in my sorry solitude. [Editorial mode ends.]

Here are the pulls I've purchased on eBay for my kitchen. It cost me a mere $65 for more than enough for the room, and no, I don't know who manufactures them:

Please wait

Image not available

Anyway, today I'm doing the math and feeling sorry for myself and I realize that I can have high-end pulls IF I decide to assert myself and go insanely off the wall and ruin my disciplined record as procurement agent and spend an extra $750 on the kitchen without adding an ounce of functionality.

Here is the Revenger's Plan B: Omnia 9416/51263 "Classic & Modern" Pull. You can look it up if you want to know how nasty the price is.

{{gwi:1978695}}
On my 37 inch and 34 inch wide banks of drawers, I think I'd need two per drawer to keep things in scale. These sit 1 inch out from cupboard at the place where fingers insert into gap. They are 3 inches long with a 2 inch center-to-center.

So, folks, wadaya think of these and what do you think of how they would "feel" in the room versus the ones I already own? I am not sure they would really improve the functionality (actually might be less functional compared to the generous ones I bought that sit so nicely away from the wood of the cupboards). I need advice as to how they would function.

Kitchen is as shown, the scene of the potential crime....ignore the chicken and the begonia...

Kitchen will have lots of shiny silver/chrome, some brass and pewter of varying stages of polish, rag rugs, and instead of cafe curtains I will make roman shades of a mod white with silver supergraphic fabric once we get the window trim finished, probably some time after the turn of the next decade.

Plus adjacent nook area will have some old brass and some glass, old books, new books, art work, more rugs. Adjacent dining room has a 1920s silverplate chandelier, fireplace with bookshelves, Scandinavian teak table and chairs, biological and AmIndian prints, and an old Revenge: a faux Chippendale china cab.

Adjacent lobby area has 1830s Biedermeier chest, Indians and hayfork and other art pieces on walls, and [if DH returns home before January] a red checkerboard marble baseboard strip. Flavor of the place is a nutty blend of Scandinavian modern and Swedish farmhouse, Regency, 19th century science, and pre-Civil War U.S. All in a modified 1950s tract house.

Clearly, this is your typical GW kitchen, Formica and white appliances and all. Salute!

Comments (27)