SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Covered Up Tender Plants Or Gonna Let Them Die?

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
11 years ago

Most counties in OK have either a Frost Advisory or Freeze Warning for tonight/early tomorrow morning. Some counties had them last night.

So, what did everyone do about the warm-season plants that still were growing and blooming?

Did y'all cover them up in the hopes of protecting them, or did you decided to just let the weather have them?

I moved all the container plants into the garage, including several I had left outside last night. We're expected to be 6 or 7 degrees colder tonight than we were last night.

In the main garden, we covered up all the warm season crops except for pole beans growing on the fence that were too tall to be covered, and a few pepper plants. The pepper plants that didn't have many flowers or fruit didn't get covered, but all the others did. Well, I did not cover the okra. We've had plenty of okra and it seemed like it would be impossibly hard to cover 7' tall okra plants. I did cover 4 rows of southern peas, 6 rows of snap bush beans, the remaining SunGold tomatoes, the hot pepper bed, half the sweet pepper bed, ornamental peppers, zinnias, tall verbena, periwinkles and a few morning glories (because they were intertwined with the winter squash we covered).

I didn't cover up any cool-season crops because they should be able to handle a light frost and our forecast low is only expected to be 35 or 36.

I'm not ready to let the cold weather take out my warm-season plants this early in fall, but the next time we have a cold spell like this, I likely won't cover up everything.

Dawn

Comments (24)