SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gcmastiffs

Tender Tropical planting

gcmastiffs
17 years ago

Okay, my Breadfruit and Cacao have done very well, in containers. They are now nearly too big to bring indoors. It takes two people and a lot of swearing...

My plan is to make a sheltered, triangular spot, on the West Side of the property, that can be covered in case of a freeze, well watered, and shaded if needed. Oddly enough, the South side of our place frosts before the North side. I've never seen freeze damage on the west side.

I ordered telephone poles today as a framework. I'm invisioning a triangle, enclosing the trees with the open end to the east. Could be open all the way around in mild weather. "Closure" would just be shadecloth, or plastic or a trellis.

I was thinking that Cacao, Breadfruit and Jaboticaba might make a nice grouping. They would get full morning sun, could be shaded from overhead rays, and afternoon sun would be filtered through trees or a vine-covered trellis. If the neighbor removes his trashy invasives ( I can dream, can't I?), I can protect from sun to the west with shadecloth if needed.

How long do Cacaos need shade? My Breadfruit also seems happier in partial shade. I included the Jabo since it likes lots of water.

Comments?

Lisa

Comments (9)