SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Is this an okay area to plant a Windmill palm

katrina1
15 years ago

I have seem photos of Windmill palm trees growing in pots. Does this mean that a Windmill palm tree could be planted in a bed, which has only 3 feet of top soil before the roots of this palm would reach a fairly high water table?

Actually the water table in that area is fed by flushes of surface storm runoff saturating the soil as water flows there from the gutters of two different houses.

At the current time, during times when the lawns are watered deeply or when heavy rain events occur and large amounts of runoff pour from those gutters, that water backs up and slows down, due to insufficiant land slope near the bed where the tree would be planted.

We have scheduled for some drainage work to be done in the area, so by the time we plant the palm tree, the water table may have dropped a few feet. At least it can then be assured, that the water table in this planting bed area, will not rise any higher: not even during extended rainy seasons.

Also: what size of Windmill Palm tree should we plant to ensure the best chance for this tree to establish well?

I have heard that transplanted palm trees take a long time to establish. For that reason, will it be better for us to purchase a Windmill Palm, which has been growing in a pot and which was planted from seed?

The climate in the northeastern area of OK where we desire to plant this tree is a USDA 7a with a Summer heat zone of 8. I have seen several web sites, which list this tree as being able to survive growing in all of Oklahoma's USDA Zones. We have even considered that, if our area is forecast to ever encounter colder than normal temps, we could simply string the palm tree with Christmas lights and reasonably expect that keeping them lit when needed could help to prevent the palm from freezing.

Comments (4)