SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashug987

Planting/caring instructions for Windmill Palms

ashug987
16 years ago

This year I bought two windmill palms (in 16 Gallon pot) from home depot. I am located in the Zone 8 (Seattle).

I am planning to put these in the ground and I already dig out almost 3 time big hole as of the existing pot and pretty much twice the depth ( because there was so much of clay and stones, I dug until I hit the soft ground). I am planning to backfill it with the good quality top soil which I got from the local soil store.

My question is that do I need to take care of any extra precaution while planting these palm trees? I know palms trees are little different from other trees, so I am wondering if the planning instruction are little different? Do I need to use some special sort of palm fertilizer while planning them this time of the year ( I have heard that the palm fertilizer should have more manganese and magnesium) or I can use just the regular compost while planting? Should I put the composed on the bottom along with the top soil or use it only at the top or to fill up the whole hole?

Any kind of general suggestion about palm at this point of the time in the seattle weather would be highly appreciated. Also I would appreciate if somebody can educate me about how to take care of the windmill palms Any links/reference would be really helpful.

Thanks in advance

Comments (12)