SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shortleaf2002

my 8 dollar Musa basjoo from Lowes

shortleaf2002
18 years ago

I was browsing around the lawn and garden department at Lowes and I came upon some small Basjoos. They were $7.97 apiece so I thought "what the heck". I'm interested to know if it really will survive the Missouri Winters. The tag says -3 degrees Fahrenheit in the ground and without mulch and -23 Fahrenheit with mulch over it. I expect it to die to the ground but not die completely. Anyway, I'd be happy enuff if it did just that. If part of the trunk stays alive that would be even better. I would plan on protecting it too.

I'm a little skeptical about Lowes's claim about the hardiness. After-all, Lowes is a national chain, it could be mis-labelled, from Florida, it IS a Banana and tropical, and this is Kansas City, Missouri. I'm going to keep the receipt at the ready, a refund might be looming. I'm tempted to buy the other 5 that they had. At worst I'll have to drive back out there and wait in line to get my money back.

They had some other Musa's there, 'Grain nain'. But I hadn't heard anything about its hardiness, so I wasn't overly interested in it, plus it was bigger and more expensive.

They had Rubber plants, Aloe, other Palms like a Ponytail Palm and much more. I couldn't believe all the tropicals that they had for sale. They don't tell people that they are house-plants. All they care about is the cash register.

At any rate, I have pics of the Basjoo if anyone would lke to have a look. I've since re-potted it into a pot about 10 times bigger.

Will

{{gwi:419747}}

{{gwi:419748}}

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor