SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jbclem

Let's name every pest that could be eating up my plants

jbclem
15 years ago

I have vegetable gardens in 4x8 boxes with chicken wire sides, and 3 ft high plastic mesh over the chicken wires. Shade cloth on frames reaching down to the chicken wire makes entry difficult. Birds would have a very hard time getting into these cages, there may be a few holes where squirrels could get in but I have two hav-a-heart traps on patrol (one is inside a garden box) and I've caught many squirrels in other parts of the yard with these traps so I know they like the carrots I use for bait. I have most of the young seedlings protected by plastic 1/2gal milk containers cut in half. I also use clear plastic cups with the top cut off to protect small plants.

Something(s) is getting to the plants in my garden boxes and chewing off the leaves on many of the plants. Pole beans have leaves half chewed away 12" off the ground, chard leaves are shredded down to the center vein, cucumbers, cantaloupe, and watermelon seedlings are lucky to live 2 weeks before they are topped. Tomato plants are ignored, young squash plants are last to be chewed on, lettuce is also not a favorite but will eventually be eaten. Onions are also ignored.

Even seedlings inside the milk containers are getting eaten and the only way in is through the hole where the milk pours out, and that would involve crawling up 8-10 inch sides of plastic, into the hole, down the sides, etc...

I would suspect slugs but I haven't seen any and they usually leave a trail of slime that you can spot. I don't think sow bugs can climb up a 3" seedling to get at the top leaves, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'd like to ask for people to list all the pests that you can think of that could be doing this damage so I can methodically start looking for them. Otherwise I'm not going to have much of a vegetable garden...I've been planting green beans since Mar/April and still haven't had one large enough to flower. Same with the other plants. And I'll start another message about the little tomato worms that are wrecking my tomato plants.

Any suggestions out there in pest land?

jc

Comments (14)