SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyratejim

Am I doing things right

pyratejim
17 years ago

My wife and I are new at palm growing although we both have green thumbs (so we are told).

I recently purchased the following: (all came bare root)

-1 Sabal Palmetto Birmingham, 3 fans approx. 18" in length

-1 T. Takil (Kumaon Palm), 5 leaves, approx. 12" in length

-2 T. Takil (WIndmill Palm), 3 leaves, approx. 8" in length

-5 R. hystric (Florida Needle), 3 leaves each, approx. 8" in length

-5 Sabal Palmetto Louisiana, 3 leaves each, approx. 8" in length.

They were each planted in potting soil (Quick grow w/fertilizer) and premixed for air and water drainage. They were in the house for about 5 days and seemed to be doing well. I recently moved them outside to a table along the south fence and covered it with some extra black vinyl window screening to create some shade. I sprinkled them all with some granulated potash and then watered them with some root started. They were outdoors about 2 days and then it rained for about a day and a half. All pots are draining nicely and the plants are not standing in water. I just noticed this morning that the palm tips, about 1/4" to 1/2 on most plants are turning brown, almost burnt looking.

As newbies, what should we be checking? Was the potting soil a bad choice? Should we repot and if so, what is BEST to use? To much in the potash AND root starter combo? Window screen is not good sun shade material and they are getting burnt? (None of the tips are in direct sunlight and of my local nurseries could tell me where to get the sun shades they use on their outdoor displays.) Should we be worried about ph level (getting tester on monday afternoon) as I learn what the levels should be for each type of palm. Anything else we should be checking for or doing?

As we are in zone 6b and these are all youngen's, we will be bringing them in this winter, once the nights start dipping into the upper 30's but not frosts, and keeping them under growing lights. Next spring, they will be planted outside and remain there, unless I need to give them another season/year or two before planting.

Thanks for all your help and guidance. We are so looking forward to doing this, and doing this right in our Detroit suburb backyard.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH