SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenmtngal14

Possums (opposums) eating garden?

11 years ago

I am posting on behalf of my mom, who has had a miserable garden year. She is "at war" with whatever is eating her garden. She bought a have-a-hart trap and caught a possum last night.

Luckily she has a heart (she wanted my Dad to kill it) and went to check on it in the heat today. She thought it was giving birth, but I pointed out that they are marsupials, so if the babies are 'coming out of the stomach' they were probably born a while ago...

So, point of the rambling.. Will a possum destroy a garden. Her squashes, beans, peas, cukes, tomatillos (not tomatoes, peppers, or eggplants) have all been destroyed. They were either destroyed right after germination, effectively killing them, or the leaves were chopped off and gobbled cleanly.. only stalks were left. Some plants will live as the inner leaves were not touched...

Is this a possum? I don't think it is... in fact the prints I saw led me to believe it was a racoon... what would selectively eat leaves like this? It also made it over her fence as we found no evidence of it digging under...

Would love some suggestions! (Ps- I told her to save Mommy's life... she was probably hissing because she was in daylight!)

Comments (5)