SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea781_gw

1st plumeria- need help :-)

Andrea781
13 years ago

Hello all,

My husband and I visited Hawaii on our honeymoon last month, and I fell in love with plumerias. We live in Staten Island, NY so the only times I had seen them before was on TV and magazines. When we came home, I wanted to plant one to keep the memory of our amazing honeymoon, so I ordered a rooted cutting online.

It came on Thursday and I literally realized..."Now what.."

After doing some research, I purchased a 1 gallon container and some cactus mix, and transplanted my rooted cutting into the container. Watered very lightly and placed in shade for a few days, plan on placing it in full sun on Thursday so it's not shocked. The weather forecast says highs of 62 and sunny. Would this be ok?

How often should I water it? (soil still kinda moist from Thursday's transplantation) Should I bring it indoors once it gets cooler outside? Should I place a heating pad under it (i've read in this forum) or is that only when trying to root a cutting? Should I fertilize, and if so, what should I use?? The top has some little green baby leaves (still kind of stiff).

My husband does landscaping for a living, and thinks I am completely insane for obsessing over the beginning of my plant, but I have read that plumerias can die very easily and just want to make sure i'm doing everythign right. Thanks a million in advance for your replies. :o)

Comments (9)