SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickencoupe1

Sumac or Comfrey

chickencoupe
11 years ago

Hi all;

SUMAC

I'm so completely clueless to plant species and identification except the basic garden varieties I must ask because I'm getting no results on my own.

There is a spice (or herb?) called "Sumac" in Arabic. I remember researching once to determine it's origin and it comes from a edible Sumac tree or a bush. Last I checked the spice can be purchased online from an import company in India. Needless to say, it is expensive. FYI: This ground spice has a pungent unique flavor and is reddish/maroon in color. After it is well aged it takes on a fuscia color, too. I crave this stuff and suspect it contains something I need. I really love the stuff, too, in an herb/spice dish native to the country of Jordan dipped with pita bread and olive oil.

Anyway,

I noticed Oklahoma does have sumac growing wild. I have no idea if this is related or whatever. Do ya'll have any input on this or can lead me in a better direction than I can find on my own? I do not know of anything but mediterranean dishes that it is used, but some Indian foods are certain to contain it. I think the plant itself is poisonous?

COMFREY

I've recently discovered Comfrey has a variety of personal uses and also that it is an invasive species with long tap roots like bindweed. Does it grow here in Oklahoma? Could it be wild in my "wild" yard?

Dawn, someone told me that comfrey can be eliminated only by building a hot compost pile atop. I'm thinking of trying this with the local bindweed that is growing like crazy now - including my new raised garden bed.

Information on Sumac from eHow:

Sumac is usually associated with rash-causing plants such as poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac. However, edible sumac varieties do exist. These varieties, like Rhus typhina, commonly called stag's horn sumac, and Rhus aromatica or lemon sumac, produce red berries. Edible sumac flavors summer drinks and tea and adds color and flavor to meals. In the landscape, use edible sumac in a wild area and to control erosion on sloping, disturbed ground. Propagate sumac from seed in late fall or mid winter.

Comments (38)