SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
markyd311

So my peppers have come back to life. A few questions.

markyd
12 years ago

So, my pepper plants have come back. However, I have two problems: GRASSHOPPERS AND SOME REALLY NASTY LOOKING CATERPILLAR LOOKIN THINGS. They are picking the stems of my most prized plants CLEAN. They seem to prefer the SUPERHOTS - Bhut Jolokia, etc. They're leaving the more common varieties alone. I pick them off/kill them, and there's a new one in their place the very next day. HOW CAN THIS BE? WHY do they choose the same plants over and over? Ugh. So frustrating. I guess my main question is...HOW DO I GET RID OF THESE THINGS?! I really don't want to use poison, but I will if I have to:

Also, I have an unidentified pepper plant. This is one that the birds stole the tag from. It's a long Thai-type pepper, but they are LONG and CURLY. These things are awesome looking! I DO have some kung pao peppers. They are much smaller, and the plant itself looks completely different.

First, the kung pao:

Now, here's a pic of one of the unidentified peppers. Notice how it curls around at the end? They already smell hot.

Any thoughts? I'd love to hear from you experts. This is my first season with a "real" garden, and I'm so happy to see some of them coming back. Unfortunately, the caterpillars have picked several of the plants I was most excited about completely clean. :(

OH! One last thing. I've noticed that many of my Jalapeno types are turning PURPLE. Is this from the suddenly cool nights? The peppers are purple and even the stems on some. Ideas?

Comments (6)