SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

One Snake Away From A Nervous Breakdown!

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
15 years ago

Littledog started this, you know. First, she wrote about her poor dog getting bitten by a venomous snake, and I am just so glad the dog survived. (Y'all know I'm not blaming Littledog...perhaps her post even saved me from snakebite by making me open my eyes and be more aware than usual!)

Until that post, I hadn't seen or almost-stepped on a venomous snake in ages. Then, what happened? Suddenly, venomous snakes are everywhere and my nerves are shot.

First, the cats and guineas formed a tight circle around a coiled-up, rattling timber rattlesnake. Ultimately, the cats, guineas and I survived that encounter, but the snake did not. (The only good venomous snake is a dead one. We just don't tolerate them up close to the house.) Ever since that day, there are venomous pit vipers everywhere I look. What happened? A jinx? A curse? Well, I guess not. Fall has arrived and snakes are always more active in cooler daytime temperatures BUT they seem to be out about a month early. Usually, I see them out moving around a lot in mid-October. I hope this doesn't mean I'll be seeing them for a month longer this year, although I bet I will.

The latest snake encounter was last night.....a young copperhead that I BARELY saw in the almost dark around 7:45 p.m.....about 6" or 8" from my hand as I picked up a bucket near the garage's walk-in door. I didn't have a hoe or shotgun within reach, so I placed the upside-down bucket over the snake and set a potted brugmansia on top of it so the snake couldn't squeeze out from under the bucket. All the time, 3 dogs were dancing and prancing around me and the snake, which they didn't see at all.

This morning, when DS arrived home from his 24-hr. shift at the fire station, he scooped up the snake in a net, took it away from the concrete and shot it.

One thing that bothers me is that if there is one baby snake, there are a whole lot more somewhere nearby--snakes have large litters.

I suspect the young copperhead was trying to soak up some heat from the garage patio but, you know, we've had that garage and patio since the summer of '04 and this is the first time I've seen a snake on that slab. If I'd been a tiny bit slower, I think he would have bitten me last night, and it was so close to being dark that I am AMAZED I saw it.

So, for all my friends here in southern OK who are always saying something like "For as much time as you spend outdoors, a poisonous snake is going to get you one of these days..." yes, you all are right. One of these days it will happen, and I am just so grateful to the Lord that it didn't happen last night. If I walk outside and encounter one more snake within inches of my feet or hands or head (they do climb trees, y'all know) this fall, I may just stay inside until the first hard freeze occurs.

I swear, I am just about one venomous snake encounter away from having a full-fledged nervous breakdown. Today, I thought I saw a big black snake in the grass near the water faucet....but it was just a water hose. LOL Like I said, I am getting very nervous and very jumpy.

Is anyone else seeing snakes????? Because, y'all know, it's not fair if I am suffering through snake season alone. LOL

And, I think my nose let me down. Usually I smell copper before I see a copperhead, but I didn't smell copper this time. The snake did have a green tail though, so I should have smelled something.

Dawn

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County