SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosgra

So it begins!

12 years ago

Hi everyone! Now that I have a husband and the wedding and honeymoon are behind us, I can turn my attention to gardening again! For starters, I want to show some of the gorgeous tropical landscaping from our bed and breakfast in Hawaii. What made me especially jealous was that they said they did all of this in just three years. It must be nice to have a 365 day growing season and reliable rainfall. Sigh.

And here's some initial groundbreaking of my veggie garden! Right now I'm just turning over the grass and weeds with a shovel. The neighbors think I'm crazy for doing this by hand of course and keep asking me why my husband isn't doing it. Pshh, I like hard work, and it feels awesome to be able to do something outside besides stand around with a hose in 100-degree heat.

I'll borrow my sister's truck next weekend and rent a tiller for the really hard part, which is breaking up the sandstone-ish hardpan. It's been kind of hit or miss so far. In some places the soil is soft, deep, and sandy, and in others it's either coming up in chunks of clay or I'm hitting the sandstone layer just a few inches down. I'm curious to see what the tiller can do on the hard stuff. I also found a golf ball buried in the ground, which was a quite random discovery. This house was built on abandoned pasture land, so I'm guessing that the fill dirt came from somewhere else. I should really do a soil test.

After the tilling is done I'll start amending the beds with compost, set up the bed edging and fences, and mulch the pathways. I'm going to try to take pictures as I go.

It's just so nice to be doing something again after this dreadful summer. I'm excited about getting started!

Comments (8)