SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reach_for_the_sun

Should I worry about aphids in soil?

Reach_For_The_Sun
13 years ago

I am in need of some advice.

I grew peppers in 5 gallon buckets last year after starting them too late. Therefore, when it started to get cold I put them in my garage under florescent lights and would take them out some times when it was sunny enough. Eventually they got an aphid infestation and I got aphid nightmares, boy that was fun. The question I have is that I plan to use the same containers this year. I have read that aphids can overwinter in the soil.

I thought of some potential solutions but am not sure the best route. I don't want to give them a head start.

Should I take the first few inches of soil out and sterilize it in the oven? (On this point I used some Osmocote and was wondering if I did sterilize in the oven would the little spherical fertilizer carries that it leaves behind be alright to expose to heat. Also I think I read somewhere that you should not sterilize soil in the oven if it has either perlite or vermiculite, not sure which, or if true)

Remove the soil and till it into my garden, hoping that something eats what might be there?

Don't worry about it and reuse as is?

Take out first few inches and fill in low spots of yard?

What is the best solution to eliminate the possibility of the aphids returning in these containers?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

Comments (6)

Sponsored