SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchiddude

Winter Protection

orchiddude
17 years ago

I have a question. When one wraps up a palm tree for a night of winter weather, do you unwrap it the next day if the temp is above the low for that palm?

Example: If I have a palm that can with stand 35°F, and the night is going to be 28°F, but the day time high will be 40°F, do I unwrap the plant when temps go above 35°F, or do I keep the thing covered the whole day?

The reason I ask, since palm trees continue to grow, they need light. If I keep the tree in a dark wrap for 24 or 36 hours, what effect will that have on the palm?

My thought is to build a mini greenhouse around the plant, cover it in clear double poly material like my greenhouse, toss in a small heater and be done with it. No wrapping, unwrapping. Basicly you have a plastic/wooden box around your plant with a heater.

So, I want to know how are you people up north are going to do it, when you have a blizzard for 3 or 4 days and the temps never get above 20°F.

I have never protected a palm in this fashion before, I stick mine in the greenhouse so I can sleep at night. :-)

Love to hear your comments.

Comments (30)