SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yrdling

Remove early fruit from 6 inch tall nursery plants?

yrdling
14 years ago

I have a few pepper plants I bought at a local nursery that I planted two weeks ago. They average around 6 to 10 inches high now, depending on variety.

Some of them are already growing fruit, but the plants are still very immature. Out of about 40 plants of various kinds, one Hungarian hot wax, one sweet banana pepper, one Anaheim, and one Jalapeno pepper plant have one fruit each on them. Other plants are flowering, or have little buds.

Should I allow them to set fruit at this stage? Should I pluck the little buds and flowers off?

I wonder if allowing these fruit to grow while the plants are still so small and young will stunt their growth?

In the case of the Anaheim, I had to remove the pepper anyway. The pepper was four inches long, while the plant was only six inches tall, and the end of the pepper kept poking down into the dirt. I thought that might cause it to rot, or attract insects, so I ate that very immature Anaheim with my eggs this morning.

This is just my third year to grow vegetables, so I still have a lot to learn. The last two years I had prolific pepper production, but I planted from seed, and I didn't have any of this early fruit setting. This year I bought nursery plants, mainly because I didn't start my seeds in time.

Comments (13)

Sponsored