SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

The July Canning Report

13 years ago

The most wonderful thing about having a garden is that in a good year you can preserve the extra food that is above and beyond what you're able to eat fresh.

Since it is just Tim and I now, we have lots of extra, although of course I send stuff home with DS and DDIL and give DS veggies to take to work sometimes too.

July was a really productive month with both fruits and veggies. As July began, we were still dealing with the last of the plums and peaches that occupied much of June, but also with lots of peppers and tomatoes. In addition to canning, we made homemade peach ice cream and homemade cherry ice cream. Both were yummy.

Because we only grow a few fruit here (peaches, plums, dewberries, strawberries and persimmons), I also buy fruit to can when it is in season and I find it at good prices. In July, I found lots of organic blueberries in stores, and great prices ($1 a lb.) on cherries from the Pacific Northwest. I make Apple Pie Jam year-round because apples are never hard to find or expensive.

Here's what I canned in July, and most of it was from our garden, with the exceptions noted above. The quantities are given in jars, except the batches of plum juice were frozen in freezer zip-lock bags. Salsa and peppers were canned in pint jars, and everything else in half-pints. The real work was in making all the canned peppers, pepper jelly and salsa. All the little blueberry and cherry things were just dabbling in different types of things we like.

Frozen Extracted Plum Juice for Jelly in 2011---3 batches

Spiced Plum Butter--29

Annie's Salsa--31

Blueberry Syrup--2

Candied Jalapenos--41

Habanero Gold Jelly--51

Cherry Jam--14

Cherry Preserves--4

Cherry Jelly--7

Cranberry Jelly (from commercial juice)--5

Blueberry-Lime Jam--14

Cherry-Chocolate Ice Cream Topping--8

Apple Pie Jam--13

Jalapeno Jelly--4

Cherry-Habanero Jelly-4

All these canned items added to the June canning total just over 450 cans, although I'm counting all the frozen fruit juice for jelly and the frozen quarts of peaches as 'canned' though technically they're frozen and not in cans/jars themselves. (I've never bothered counting all the bags of peas, green beans, etc. that I freeze though. I don't know why.)

I've also put up carrots and green beans in the freezer, and potatoes in the root cellar, and have been dehydrating bite-sized tomatoes.

For August, I've already made Maraschino Cherries, Cherry Syrup and Candied Cherries. I'm about out of ideas for using cherries, but then I imagine cherry season is winding down anyway.

Most of my August canning will involve salsa, peppers, and pepper jellies. I have about 15 lbs. of tomatoes, and probably 10 or 12 lbs. of peppers in the kitchen right now awaiting their turn in the canner, and many more in the garden to pick when the heat cools off this evening.

Those of you who can, dehydrate or freeze food....what have you been putting up lately? I know there's been quite a bit of purplehull jelly making going on!

Dawn

Comments (26)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus