SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highlandernorth

Ever had MAJOR aphid problems, at odd times no less, what to do?

highlandernorth
12 years ago

I initially bought 3 pepper plants last year, 1 Tam(mild) Jalapeno, and 2 Poblanos. Then I walked into a fairly local mulch suppliers headquarters, but before I got into the door, I noticed many pots outside. It was about June 5, and they had a bunch of tomatoes and several pepper plants. But there was also this huge plant in a huge pot. The pot was about 28" high and 30" diameter, with a plant about 8' tall inside with a bark covered 2-2.5" trunk. I couldnt make out what type of plant it was, but it looked familiar. It had ittle purplish flowers all over it.

Then I noticed it looked a lot like the 15" pepper plants around it. But it couldnt be a pepper plant and be that big, since it was only June(or ever). So I walked in and asked, and the guy said it was a pepper. He said they are perennials, and will get big if you bring them in every winter.

So I had to try it myself. Then in July, I bought 3 more last minute bell peppers too. They grew with zero insect problems except for the occasional Katydid which would hop over and eat a hole in a leaf, but nothing else.

Then in late October, I brought all the 6 pepper plants into our greenhouse, which is a regular attached part of the house, which HAS NOT been used to grow ANY plants for 15 years or so. It had been used only for storage. The door leading to it from outside hadnt even been opened since spring.

So after about 1.5 month of being inside, they suddenly were covered in aphids! I'd never seen aphid #1 on them in the summer. I had kept a close eye for bugs on all my plants outside because of insects on my Zinnias and dahlias nearby, but NO aphids.

So I sprayed them with Triazicide, which is nasty stuff and burns your throat and nasal passages like no other insect control I've ever used since 1988, and I worked for Lawn Doctor for 8 years from '88-'96, using insect controls almost every day in spring,summer.

But even though nasty for humans, the Triazicide doesnt do squat for aphids! I'd spray them thoroughly, and 2 days later, 75% of them are still alive and well. I sprayed them 3 times, with little effect, then used a mix of dish soap and pepper sauce with water that I'd read about on a gardening site, but all it did was zap the plants, causing 40% of the leaves to dry and fall off! Then, I left a thread here, and someone said that insects are IMMUNE to capsacisin in peppers!

So I washed the spray bottle and mixed only Palmolive dish soap and sprayed again, which knocked off another 40% of the leaves! But left aphids on the plants. So I switched back to Triazicide, and had to spray at least 1-2 times a week to barely control them, but not kill them all.

But by february, half the plants were dead, and by early March, the rest looked almost dead, but with some aphids still on them! Amazing...... I had to throw them ALL out.

Moral of story: Aphids seem to have transporter technology like in Star Trek, but we dont have the technology to any longer produce an effective insect control like we used to have(Dursban, Diazinon, Triumph, etc), but the new insect controls WILL control humans!(just not insects)

Plus, dont pay ANY attention when someone on the web gives you any brilliant ideas of what to spray your plants with, as it may kill them!

Comments (12)

Sponsored