SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohmmm_gw

Robusta Juniper in clay?

ohmmm_gw
12 years ago

Living in Oklahoma for a year has been a frustrating experience as far as getting plants to actually live. One thing I know for sure, I hate clay.

I have 1.25 acres, of which I am trying to get a perimeter of trees growing. Soil is typical Oklahoma clay.

Tried Thuja green giants planted last fall. All died...probably 50+ of them. I replaced the ones that died with other Green giants after winter...same result. So I gave up on those completely.

The so called "mild" Oklahoma winter, resulted in one or two days which had Chicago like winter temps. That took care of numerous other plants that otherwise may have lived, including some "tough" hollies.

Recently I tried some Blue Ice trees around the perimeter. Thanks to 6 weeks of drought, probably half of those look like they are on their way out. I have been watering as best I can.

I got so frustrated, that I just bought 600ft of 3/4" flex tubing and put 1/2 gph drippers at each location that still have a live plant. I will put drippers in the other spots once I replace all the remaining dead or dying trees.

I saw the Robusta juniper at sooner plant farm online and thought that might be a good choice. But then I look at another website and they say that the Robusta "Does NOT do well in poorly drained soils like clay." That seems to be the normal statement for most plants everywhere. I don't recall ever seeing it said, "THIS PLANT DOES GREAT IN CLAY."

The ONLY evergreen that has survived the cold winter AND summer draught AND high winds AND CLAY has been the Spartan junipers that I put in. I think I got those from Sooner plant farm. They were all planted in the fall of last year.

So I am thinking just fill the perimeter with Spartan junipers and be done with it.

On a frustration scale of 1-100, I am at 100 with trying to plant here in Oklahoma.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County