SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

A decent deal on jars and canners

seedmama
13 years ago

My mom's friend is selling off her canning supplies. I purchased all of her pints for $4 a dozen, and all of her wide mouth quarts for $4.50 per dozen. They did not come with rings. Given that I could buy new for $7 a dozen with rings, it's not a steal, but I've convinced myself because they are the old, thick, Ball, Mason, and Kerr brand jars, it was a good value. I did not buy the small mouth quarts because I don't know what I would can in them. Maybe fat free turkey broth? I did tell her I would mention them here in case anyone needs a hook up.

I also purchased her two 16 quart canners for $25 each. I anticipate an additional cost of $22 each for a seal ($10) and weights ($12), but I still think it was a decent value.

On the way home, mom called to tell me a local discount store has half pints for $2.88 a dozen. They were actually 250 ml (8.4 ounce) Ball gold lid jars. They are very short and squat, and remind more of a candle than food. However, I think they will be good for Habanero Gold Jelly. The folks at the Harvest Forum say it doesn't matter the shape, a half pint is a half pint is a half pint for processing purposes.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm