SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elucas101

Angle Cut vs. Straight Cut

elucas101
11 years ago

Since George (Citizen Insane) discussed with us and showed us his research on how the roots form on the end of an angle cut vs. a straight cut plumeria, that has really made me pay attention to them.

Just like in his pictures, when I take a plant out of its pot at various stages I can see that it is holding true (not that I didn't believe, I just mean to see it with my own eyes) - if the plant was cut at an angle, the plant is only really putting out roots at that angled tip.

I think some plants do fine that way, but it just got me to thinking about the untapped potential of plant ends cut at angles - how much better would they be if they had been straight cut?!

One of several examples is a Moragne #78 that I believe I bought rooted (jandey, do you remember? We bought at the same time.) last year and it never really thrived. It just never really did much. I finally upotted it and it had this small area of roots on the tip of the angled cut but nothing substantial. I had decided beforehand if it didn't have a healthy root system i would cut it. So I did. I re-cut the end straight and I let it callus and just repotted for rooting on Sunday. I'll let you know if it thrives now.

Several cuttings I bought I decided to just bite the bullet and re-cut them straight and let them re-callus even though the wait is torture! I wish I had done that to ALL of them, but some of them I just couldn't risk it at the time.

I understand the angle cut for the tree's sake, but maybe sellers could do one extra cut after and make the ends straight so the buyer doesn't have to re-cut? Just a thought. What is your experience with angle vs. straight?

Comments (15)