SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Nrthrn growers: Tropical looking woody tree

andyandy
16 years ago

This is a Rhus Typhina (latin name) it is a type of sumac (NOT poison) Sumac. This picture doesn't really give you the best idea of just how palm like this tree can look. I have one that sprung up in the spring of 06 (my neighbor has one). It only forms a couple of main trunks that look like single trunk palms and the leaves form a canopy that looks VERY palm like. The leaves are pinnate and in the fall when they fall off you are left with only a few trunks (not multiple branches like most woody trees). The branch part of the leaves fall off as well. It needs no protection down to at least zone 5. Believe it or not it is a member of the Cashew family. When I finally get a chance to take pictures of mine and my neighbors it will show just how palm like they look. This is an excellent compliment to northern growers inground and potted palms. The tree is slow growing (maybe a foot a year and small, my neighbors is about 12 feet and at least 10 years old). They will not get giant and take up whole yards.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner