SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sflgplume

something's up with my Haleakala inflo?

sflgplume
12 years ago

Hey all,

Question for everyone: my Haleakala is growing vigorously, and early on this season put out an inflo that is absolutely gigantic--I posted a pic of it before it bloomed to show how big it was.

Anyway, after putting out a few pale but normal-sized flowers, something happened to the inflo. As the still-closed blooms enlarge in their last, say, week before opening, they get brown patches on them. They become dry-looking, and then when they open, they only do so at the very top, resulting in these strangely miniature flowers on top of this enormous inflo.

You can see, hopefully, what I'm talking about in this photo:

Notice the brown spot on the bud that's about to open toward the bottom, and the teeny-tiny flowers...strange, huh?

(The good news is that one of the two branches that formed when this inflo popped already has another inflo on it!!! Wow!)

Has anyone see this before, and/or have any idea what is causing it? It's kind of a bummer! Is it insect damage? (I admit that I do treat these trees with Safari--after last summer's whitefly scourge, I'm not messing around anymore.)

Would love to hear what y'all think.

Thanks,

Greg

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor